Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Hello!

Wow! Here I am, creating my own blog! I can't believe I'm actually going to get published! I'm so honored (sniff, sniff, wipe tear). Okay, seriously though, I think this is going to be a lot of fun! I'm not really sure what I'm doing yet, though, so be patient with me.

I guess I should introduce myself. My name is Diana. I am a currently studying English and Art History at BYU. I live for variety---in everything. I love travelling, shopping, painting, horse-back riding, fishing and visiting any kind of museum. I enjoy trying different kinds of food, meeting new people, studying foreign languages and planning trips to places I have never been. I have loved being able to study a wide variety of subjects including comparative religion, geography, astronomy, language and, of course, art and literature---two of my favorites. Ideally, my diet would consist mostly of mint-chocolate-chip ice-cream, mixed with 1% milk and eaten out of a small mug; gasoline would be free; andthe typical work day would begin at 10. See, I'm pretty low maintenance!

My blog is titled "Life For Rent" for a couple of reasons. That phrase is the name of a Dido album and song that I really love and relate to. I'll try to explain. Everything in my life right now seems transient, or at least I hope it is. I drive a car that I hate, I live in an apartment that feels like a motel, and I'm progressing in a job that ultimately I want to quit. In other words, I seem to be spending my life waiting for better things to come along. I'm constantly dreaming of being somewhere else, living a completely different life, but the saddest part is that I could be. The chorus of the song explains. "If my life is for rent, and I don't learn to buy, then I deserve nothing more than I get, 'cuz nothing I have is truly mine." Well, I'm ready to start owning some things---things as trivial as my spunky haircut to things as important as my future. My favorite line in the song goes like this: "If I am so afraid to fail, so I won't even try, then how can I say I'm alive?" This is my new mantra.

No comments: