Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer was one of the most emotionally moving books I have read in a long time. I have several vivid memories of September 11, 2001. I still remember the fear I felt, the sadness, the disbelief. Luckily for me, I didn't lose anyone I loved in that tragedy, but this book helped me begin to feel what it must have been like for those who did. But this book isn't just about 9/11. It's about loss in general and how people cope in different ways. This is the story of 9-year-old Oskar, whose father was killed in the World Trade Center. When Oskar finds a strange key in his father's closet, he is determined to find out what it opens in order to learn something more about his father. This book gave me hope, despite my cynicism, then just when I was sure to be let down, it didn't disappoint. Throughout the book, Oskar uses the words "extremely" and "incredibly" repeatedly. In the end, I realized it's because that's really the most we can say. All I can say is that this book was extremely well written and incredibly moving.
The History of Love is by Nicole Krauss, who is married to Jonathan Safran Foer. I loved reading these books together because many of the themes are remarkably similar, and I enjoyed imagining how this couple must have collaborated. Having said that, I may have liked The History of Love better if I hadn't been constantly comparing it to Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. Still, this novel was beautifully written. Krauss, unlike Foer, made the writing process a major theme of this novel. She so perfectly described the self-doubt that even great writers have, which made me want to conquer my fears and write. There were two things that I absolutely loved about this book. One was the final scene, which is simply unforgettable. The other was the way Krauss completely transformed my understanding of one particular character. I fell right into the trap of approaching this character with certain preconceptions, which she repeatedly proved wrong throughout the course of the book. The History of Love reminded me of the importance of reaching out to understand people.
I have to just include an excerpt:
Hopefully you'll love these books like I did. Call me when you're finished. I can't wait to discuss them with someone!I often wonder who will be the last person to see me alive. If I had to bet, I'd bet on the delivery boy from the Chinese take-out. I order in four nights out of seven. Whenever he comes I make a big production of finding my wallet. He stands in the door holding the greasy bag while I wonder if this is the night I'll finish off my spring roll, climb into bed, and have a heart attack in my sleep.
I try to make a point of being seen. Sometimes when I'm out, I'll buy a juice even though I'm not thirsty. If the store is crowded I'll even go so far as dropping my change all over the floor, the nickels and dimes skidding in every direction. I'll get down on my knees. It's a big effort for me to get down on my knees, and an even bigger effort to get up. And yet. Maybe I look like a fool. I'll go into the Athlete's Foot and say, What do you have in sneakers? The clerk will look me over like the poor schmuck that I am and direct me over to the one pair of Rockports they carry, something in spanking white. Nah, I'll say, I have those already, and then I'll make my way over to the Reeboks and pick out something that doesn't even resemble a shoe, a waterproof bootie, maybe, and ask for it in size 9. The kid will look again, more carefully. He'll look at me long and hard. Size 9, I'll repeat while I clutch the webbed shoe. He'll shake his head and go to the back for them, and by the time he returns I'm peeling off my socks. I'll roll my pants legs up and look down at those decrepit things, my feet, and an awkward minute will pass until it becomes clear that I'm waiting for him to slip the booties onto them. I never actually buy. All I want is not to die on a day when I went unseen.


2 comments:
OH, I love you di! I am glad you had fun at Powell. I am definitely going to read those books. They sound very interesting. I just finished The Memory Keepers Daughter by Kim Edwards and loved it. It is about a man who makes a vital decision of giving away his daughter when she is born with Downs Syndrome. He then tells everyone that she was born dead. It goes on to tell the story of how his decision affects his life and the lives of those around him. It is another book that you could have a good discussion about. I think you would like it...if you are looking for a new book to read, that is.
Thanks for the recommendations, I look forward to reading those... although I think it will be December before I get to them! Textbooks, although boring take precedence. But when I do, I will give you a call and we can discuss.
Post a Comment