Monday, February 01, 2010

The Kindling Project

Over the past few weeks, I have felt a desire to reach out to help the victims of the Haiti earthquake. It seems like there are groups and organizations everywhere asking for more monetary donations, and I find myself wishing I could give more. This week I realized that while I don't have much money to give, I can give of my time and talents. In an effort to make the most of the general good will people are feeling and also find ways to maximize our efforts, some classmates and I have started to organize a community-wide service project. Since the American Red Cross and other organizations have asked for monetary donations only, I have been trying to figure out a way to contribute through service. I think we may have found a solution. Although the problems in Haiti present unique challenges and desperate needs, there are many in our own community who are also struggling. After working with refugees over the summer, I am a little more aware of the many people living right here in Utah that need our help and attention. The best part about organizing a service project that targets local needs is that I may have found a way to double the value of our efforts. I am still working on it, but we may have found a corporate sponsor who will donate $1 to Haitian relief for each hour of service given through this service project. We're still working out the details and the timing of the service project, but I am hoping that we will be able to expend our energies in a way that will make the most of our time and efforts. I would love any feedback or suggestions you might have. In the meantime, here's a video from President Monson that I hope will inspire all of us to do a little more to help others.

5 comments:

Laura said...

What a fantastic idea! I would love to hear more about it when you have some details figured out! Let's get together sometime soon, too! Hope school is going well!

Kate said...

Diana, you are such a good person. This honestly made me cry a little. So many of us are content to sincerely wish we could do something, and then do nothing. But if there were anyone that would do something, it would be you. Please let me know if I can do anything to help out. If I don't hear from you, I'll be sure to call.

Taylor and Dean said...

I second Kate's opinion. I love having friends who keep me inspired, and I'm grateful to have friends as compassionate and dedicated as you and Rod! For sure keep me updated! Not sure what the parameters are, but as a bonus I have a captive audience of 150 students who could get involved! :) It was cute though- two of my students wrote letters to student council proposing all these ways that our school could raise money to donate to Red Cross etc. I was proud of them!

Angie said...

Good for you! As you can imagine I was itching to go to Haiti...alas having a child makes things a little trickier! Way to bring service home! I wish I was there to donate my time to your project, hopefully I can find some way around here to help. :) You are awesome!

Casee said...

I love this idea. I too have been looking for ways to lend a hand, but it seems so overwhelming. I did donate some funds to the relief effort, but I was thinking how I wish I could do more, but then I read something earlier today that said, our $1 is equal to $7 Haitian. So basically if you are serving and donations are being sent out in the amount of $1, it is like sending $7. So, hopefully we are doing more good than we think. Either way, I would love to be involved in whatever it is you are doing, please let me know how I can help.